As those of you with curly hair will know, it needs some unique love and care to keep it in tip-top shape. We want to help you tend to your curls — and many of our products were designed with you in mind. At DIY Clippers, we believe in empowering customers to care for their hair themselves. You know your hair better than anyone, and we can give you the tools to nourish, cut, and style your hair from the comfort of your own home!
Keep reading for tips on how to care for and cut your curly hair!
Care Tips for Curly Hair
- Curly hair is delicate! Instead of using harsh hair ties, use a scrunchie (even a silk scrunchie if you’re fancy) to avoid breakage. Similarly, instead of using harsh metal clips for curly styling, use something gentle like our soft grip alligator clips.
- When you need a little “refresh” on the second or third day after washing, try getting your hair evenly damp again before adding your favorite products. Try our continuous spray bottle for even water distribution!
- Avoid shampoos and conditioners with sulfates and try not to overwash your hair. Curly hair needs moisture. Try spraying your hair with a homemade hair treatment with any of these ingredients. Again, our spray bottle is awesome for this.
- Only comb through curly hair when it’s wet and thoroughly conditioned in the shower. Brushing dry, curly hair can cause frizzing and breakage.
- Be sure to trim your curly hair every three months to get rid of dead ends. If you need a long hair starter kit to cut your hair from home, click here.
Tips for Cutting Curly Hair
- Wondering if you should cut curly hair wet or dry? Well if you have exceptionally tight curls and are worried about losing too much length, consider cutting your hair dry!
- Section the hair with your fingers! Instead of sectioning with a comb, section hair off by curl clump with your fingers to avoid frizz
- Be sure to cut curly hair at an angle. Don't it cut straight across, instead, cut at an angle slanting toward your hand. This encourages the curls in the hair to wrap around itself.
- Create layers in your haircut. Curly hair loves layers, so don't be afraid to cut a few layers into the hair with the longest layer at the base of the neck.